16 August, 2015
August 16 On This Day in Dunolly & District History
1873 An ironbark tree, 3 ft in diameter was cut down at Inkermann by a splitter and 9 ft length cut from the tree and in the centre of the log there was found a piece of quartz 3oz in weight, without the least sign of decay anywhere near the find in the timber.
1882 2 footy teams of 15 players played a match at Goldsborough. Very wet, Dunolly and Goldsborough each scored a goal, declared a draw.
1891 Union Flour Mill, owned by Mr Joseph Hill, in North Broadway completely destroyed by fire at 4am with only 200 bags of wheat and the engine house and contents being saved, the damage was estimated at 4,000 pounds which is only partly covered by insurance.
1903 The home of Mr E Peters, proprietor of the Peters Soap works, was broken into by thieves while the family were at church, with several rooms thoroughly searched; 3 pounds of money and some items of jewellery were taken.
1908 Mr Castleman of Murphy’s Flat tripped and fell on his verandah fracturing 2 ribs.
1945 Dunolly Bowls Club was formed at meeting.