23 August, 2015

August 23 On This Day in Dunolly & District History

1861 The Mount Alexander Mail reported that Fraynes Reef at Old Dunolly had its first crushing some of which was crushed at Benyons and some at Hammonds at Sandy Creek yielded 200 pounds each to the shareholders.

1871 A lecture, in the town hall, on the late war was given by Rev Chambers of Tarnagulla.

1881 The Minister for Railways, Mr Bent and the Minister of Mines left Wedderburn for Inglewood at 3.30pm to inspect the rail lines while discussing the proposed Dunolly to Inglewood railway line.

1916 Red Cross concert and sale of goods was held at Bet Bet in the local school, entertainment by the Dunolly Quartette comprising of Mr and Mrs Stafford, Miss Stafford and Mr Walker with humorous recitals by Mr Johnson of Ballarat .

1938 Bealiba branch of the CWA celebrated it’s 4th birthday at the town hall, the teaching of first aid to all members will be inaugurated.

1957 Adelaide Lead post office closed.

ShareThis