24 August, 2015

August 24 On This Day in Dunolly & District History

1865 Dunolly jewellers store owned by Phillips was entered, watches and jewellery to a great value were taken. The store was broken into at the rear while Mr Phillips was away at a concert.

1866 DUNOLLY, AUG 24. A great rush has been made on the ground composing the Market square. The prospectors have washed half and ounce of gold from a tin dishful of washdirt taken off the bottom of their shaft.

1871 Lecture in the town hall by Rev Poynder in aid of the building fund “Woman and her characteristics”. Admission 1 shilling children half price.

1877 Mr Nixon’s imported horse, Victor’s Model, died at Eddington from heart disease.

1898 Tarnagulla Bicycle Club held a successful meeting at the Tarnagulla reserve, good turn out, good weather with many races held, afternoon tea supplied by the ladies and an evening concert held in the Victoria Theatre; entertainment talent from Bendigo, Dunolly and surrounding district. Proceeds of the day will go towards the Mechanics Institute.

1916 12 pounds was obtained at a concert held at Bealiba to support Queen of Friendly Societies in the competition for the Dunolly Hospital.

ShareThis