03 September, 2015

September 3 On This Day in Dunolly & District History

1863 On this date the title of The Dunolly and Burnt Creek Express changed to Dunolly, Tarnagulla and St Arnaud Express.

1878 Railway line opened to Bealiba 12.16 miles, a bullock was roasted on the green and a banquet was had in the schoolhouse, with speeches and toasts made by elected dignitaries and finished with a ball that evening.

1890 The Governor of Victoria,the Earl of Hoptoun, briefly visited Dunolly on the return train journey from Donald Pastoral and Agricultural Society’s Show; he was formally welcomed to the station by Mayor Mr. Russell and cheered by the group at the station, although he was only there for a few minutes.

1937 Tender for Long and Son accepted to reconstruct the Tarnagulla reservoir for 836 pounds.

ShareThis