1835 Sir Julius Vogel, NZ Premier, was born in London, son of Albert Leopold Vogel, a Jew of Dutch origin, and his wife Phoebe, née Isaac. Attracted to Australia by the gold rush, he studied chemistry and metallurgy at the Royal School of Mines; he arrived in Victoria in late 1852. He sold wine and spirits before setting up as an apothecary in a small canvas den complete with 'large, colored bottles, a number of empty boxes and a stuffed iguana' in Broadway, Dunolly. Turning to journalism, as correspondent for the Argus in 1856 he reported the Dunolly rush and from that year to 1859 edited the Maryborough and Dunolly Advertiser. He was also associated with the Talbot Leader in 1860-61 and owned and edited the Inglewood Advertiser from 1859 to February 1861.
1854 Back Creek (Talbot) post office opened.
1872 Fire at inglewood devoured the Empire State Hotel, Shamrock Hotel, ironmongery, pastrycook shop and wine shop were completely destroyed.
1909 Mr Tuckett was thrown from his buggy on his way home to Middle-Bridge from Dunolly, resulting in the need for 8 stitches and recovery from shock.
1915 Crown land was sold from the Dunolly courthouse.
1915 Landmark Destroyed – A large 6 roomed weatherboard house situated on the Tarnagulla Road near the recreation reserve and an old landmark was destroyed by fire this evening. There was no one living in it for some time and it is a mystery how the fire occurred. The supposition is that a tramp had camped there.
1923 The Dunolly Charity Races were held including the trots, the Dunolly handicap, the flying, the trial, the consolidation and the handicap woodchop.
1925 At the annual meeting at the Tarnagulla Mechanics Institute the removal of the library and reading rooms was discussed as the present location in the town hall is unsuitable. It was decided to ask for a special Govt grant to establish new rooms at the Victoria Hall.
1934 Dunolly charity races were held in aid of the Dunolly hospital.