06 September, 2016
September 6 #OnThisDay in #Dunolly & District #History
1867 Frayne’s Commercial and Family Hotel was offered for sale in The Argus, with bars, parlours, dining, billiards rooms and theatre with scenery, furniture and stables, for 400 pounds cash balance at 12.5 % per annum. Trade guaranteed to 50 pounds weekly.
1916 The Queen Competition in aid of the Dunolly District Hospital was concluded today. There were five Queens; Miss Niven of Natteyallock (Farmers), Miss Manly of Bealiba (Friendly Societies), Miss Belcher (Red Cross), Miss M. Joy (Commerce) and Miss K Lyndon (Music). The final results gave Miss Lyndon the position of Queen, Miss Niven was second, the total for the hospital was 593 pounds, 11/3.
1921 The borough and shire councils had chosen to erect a memorial to the towns fallen soldiers in front of the post office however Messers Bell and company have offered the council an allotment of land which adjoins the post office for that purpose, a meeting will be held to discuss the offer.
1929 The annual Dunolly and District Hospital Ball was held with more than 300 persons attending who travelled from far distances.
1971 The Vic Ed Dept announced school directorates to govern regional schools to decentralise administration, with Dunolly, Maryborough, Skipton, Ballan, Ararat and Stawell included in the area measuring 150 miles long and 100 miles wide