27 December, 2017

December 27 On This Day (Nganko Nyawiyu) in Dunolly (Lea Kurribur) History

1856 - During a monstrous thunderstorm the old Pick and Shovel Hotel was levelled.

Robert Valentine Phelps, on bail, was charged with stealing, on the 19th instant, at Ballarat racecourse, a chestnut mare, the property of Leonard Gillespie Hardy, of Ballarat. Mr McDermott appeared for the prosecutor, who is a solicitor; and Mr Phelps (another solicitor) conducted his own defence. Mr McDermott applied for a remand to Ballarat, on the ground that the witnesses, who were numerous, resided there, and it would be very inconvenient and expensive to have the case heard at Clunes. Mr Phelps had no objection to the case being heard at Ballarat, but objected to any remand, as he might not be able to procure bail, not being very well known in the district. The bench decided on hearing the prosecutor's evidence before refusing or granting a remand. 
Leonard Gillespie Hardy being called and sworn, was examined by Mr McDermott, and deposed as follows: — I am a solicitor, and reside at Ballarat. I know the prisoner, Robert Valentine Phelps. I have seen the mare now in the police stable. She is my mare, and was three months in my possession before she was taken away. I had her in my stable at Ballarat on the 19th of this month. The same day she was at the racecourse, under the charge of a man named King. I missed her from King about four o'clock in the afternoon of that day. I next saw her about ten minutes past four o'clock on the morning of the 20th instant, between Creswick and Ballarat. The prisoner was then on her, and going towards Ballarat. I and King had been to Creswick, and from that to Clunes and other places, looking for the mare. When I came near the prisoner, I said, "That is my mare you are riding," and he replied "It is mine." I then seized the rein and said, "I arrest you for horse - stealing." He then drew a short whip from under his coat, and struck me on the elbow. He then turned and rode back towards Creswick. He went at a very good pace across the bush. I followed him about fifteen miles. He came along the Clunes road, and ultimately took a direction up the country across the bush. I purchased the mare from Mr Mitchison, agent for the official assignee in the estate of Robert Valentine Phelps. I have seen the prisoner in Ballarat two or three times since I bought the horse, and he never asked for it. Cross-examined by prisoner — I know Robert Cameron, of the Clarendon Hotel. He is a client of mine. I am aware that you sued Mr Cameron for detaining the horse. I was attorney for Mr Cameron in the case. His Honor did not give a verdict for the prisoner, but nonsuited him on the ground that he was an uncertificated insolvent, and that the mare had been seized and sold by the official assignee. You were nonsuited when the law points came to be argued. I think it  was a few weeks after the points were argued that the decision was given. I was attorney for Mr Cameron when he sued you for the keep of this horse, but that was before the official assignee sold the horse. Mr Cameron sued you secondly, but I do not recollect the particulars. You had a lawsuit with Cameron afterwards, and it was at that time you were nonsuited. I saw you on Ballarat racecourse shortly after I missed the mare. You did not say John Lucas took the mare. You said "My boys took the mare." I then said "I will ------ From information I got from -------------- went to Creswick, and searched for the boy, but could not find him. I searched all through Creswick, and I inquired for your place. I saw you come into Creswick as I was leaving for the Bald Hills. Next day I found a saddle and bridle in my office, which I believe were on the mare. The saddle was sent from Cobb's office. I was told there was a note with it, but I do not know its contents. I heard there was about a dozen persons by when the mare was sold. I think the name of the official assignee was Jacob. The receipt which I got with the mare is lodged with the Clerk of the County Court at Ballarat. I believe I could have obtained the receipt from the Courts but yesterday being a holiday I was unable to get them. You never told me "you would take the mare the first time you would see her." My brother said something of the kind to me. I paid £12 for the mare. I do not recollect what the judge valued your mare at. You pulled across the road when I was coming up, and when I did come up you struck me. I had a long whip with me at the time, but it was not similar to the one now produced. I did not subpoena any witnesses, because I intended asking for a remand to Ballarat. 
Richard John Webbe, on oath, said — I am a sergeant of police, stationed at Dunolly. From information received from the sergeant at Clunes, I arrested the prisoner at Dunolly on Friday last, and I found the mare in question in a stable at Mr Phelps' house. I now produce the warrant for the prisoner's arrest. To the prisoner — I asked you where the mare was, and you told me she was in the stable. 
Mr McDermott stated that he had no further evidence to offer at present, and he would now ask the Bench for a remand to Ballarat. Mr Phelps again opposed the application, and was giving a history of the original ownership of the mare, when the Bench decided on remanding the case to Thursday, 2nd proximo, at Ballarat West, but would accept bail — the prisoner in £50, and two sureties of £50 each. The bail was procured, and the court adjourned.

- from the Dunolly & Betbetshire Express, 27 December 1862
[From our own correspondent]
On Saturday last, Mr Philips, the chemist, while in the closet at the rear of his premises, felt a sting on the thigh. On returning, he complained to Dr. King, who examined the closet and found, on the seat, a small black spider, with a flat body and a red spot on the back. Shortly afterwards, Mr Philips felt violent pains in the abdomen, which presently extended all through the body; he was then seized with severe spasms. The doctor then administered ether, ammonia, and opium, and ordered turpentine and liquid ammonia to be applied to the wound. Towards Monday morning the patient became delirious and shivering ensued. No sleep could be induced by the opium and large doses of brandy were given for the same purpose, which at length had the desired effect, although, strange to say, they failed to produce any symptoms of intoxication. We are happy to add that Mr. Philips is now considered out of immediate danger, although his case was at one time thought to be very critical, and from present appearances, Dr. King is afraid that abscesses may form in the affected parts.

 1881 - It was announced that the Dunolly people had arranged to play the English Eleven next March against 22 from this district.

 1887 - Dunolly was visited three weeks ago by millions of grasshoppers, which in their flight resembled a heavy snowstorm.

 1904 - John Praetez was admitted to the Dunolly Hospital as he fractured his arm when he fell in a bicycle race at Bealiba.

 1918 -  The Inglewood train smashed into a car at the crossing, 2 killed, others injured.

No comments: