05 December, 2017

December 5 #OnThisDay (Nganko Nyawiyu) in #Dunolly (Lea Kurribur) #History

1856 The weather was wet, cold and unseasonable; the Main Street of Dunolly was thick with dust for 10 mins during a ‘hurricane’ which blew down many tents, followed by very heavy rainfall and lightning.

 1862 Meeting held at the Criterion Hotel to form the fire brigade.

1882 (Date of inquest) DEATH OF A CHINAMAN AT DUNOLLY.

We published a telegram from Dunolly on Monday to the effect that n Chinaman had been pelted with stones by two lads, William Hunter and Joseph Watts, and died from the injuries inflicted. The Dunolly Express reports the inquest on the body, last Tuesday, by Mr Strickland, the Sandhurst coroner. From it we take the following testimony of a boy named James Crofts, who saw the occurrence. He said -" Am a schoolboy, 14 years old Live near Prince of Wales Hill. Know both the boys in court. Saw them on Saturday afternoon. Watts lives about a quarter of a mile from my place. Saw them both together near the Chinaman's about half past 4 o'clock, was about 500 or 6OO yards away. Saw them go towards a dam, I thought to swim, and were hidden from my view by a heap of mullock. About a quarter to an hour afterwards saw them again behind some bushes near the Chinaman's hut. Saw Hunter throw two stones towards deceased's hut. Then saw Louey Chee come out of his hut and chase the boys and they ran away, and deceased ran about 100 yards, and then went back to his hut. The boys then came back, and I saw Joseph Watts throw two stones, and deceased came out and chased them with a stick. Was on top of our kids' house, and saw it all plainly. Deceased followed the boys, who ran away, 300 or 400 yards, and then I lost sight of them. Saw deceased come back in half an hour. Came down off the kid house and went up to deceased, and asked him what was the matter. He said, 'Englishman's a boy cut me in head with these stones ' He had two stones in his hand. He threw them outside. The stones produced are like them’

Dr J. H. Wolfenden, who examined the Chinaman when brought to the hospital, attended him there, and after his death made a post mortem examination of the body, gave evidence from which we take the following extracts -"On Saturday evening last, December 2nd, deceased, Louey Chee, at about 8 o'clock, was brought to the hospital by the police. On examination found deceased suffering from a triangular-shaped cut on the top of the head, under which there was a slight depression of the skull, about the size of a sixpence. He was perfectly sensible, and able to speak. A consultation of the medical staff was called, and he was placed under treatment. Saw him several times. On my last visit, about 4 am on Sunday, he was perfectly sensible, and had no Symptoms of paralysis. His breathing was quick and short .The patient died at about 7 o'clock, when the wards man called me, saying the man had just expired. On opening the head found the brain and its membranes slightly congested, and slightly more marked at seat of fracture. On dissecting scalp found a fracture of the skull. On removing the skull cap found the inner table of the skull depressed about a quarter of an inch, and broken in three pieces, which remained mostly together. The whole of the brain was slightly congested. There was a small quantity of bloody fluid at the base of the brain. The substance of the brain was perfectly healthy. On opening the chest of deceased, the lungs were in a state of inflammation of some days' standing, and a large quantity of pleuritic effusion in the cavities of the chest. The heart was healthy. The right cavity of the heart was distended with clotted blood. In my opinion the cause of death was the disease of the lungs and the effusion in the chest, accelerated by the fracture of the skull already described. '

Dr Sutherland, who assisted in the post- mortem, said -"I am of opinion that the man died of inflammation of both lungs and effusion on both sides of the cheat, and that the death was accelerated by the fracture of the skull, but for which I think he might have lived a few days, but I do not think he could have recovered."

The jury, after hearing a good deal of evidence, returned a verdict which the coroner recorded thus-"That the deceased, Louey Chee, died on the 3rd of December, at the Dunolly District Hospital, of inflammation of the lungs, accelerated by a fracture of the skull, caused by a blow on the head from stones thrown by William Hunter and Joseph Watts, and the jury find the said William Hunter and Joseph Watts guilty of the man- slaughter of the said Louey Chee”

No comments: