01 January, 2018

December 31 On This Day (Nganko Nyawiyu) in Dunolly (Lea Kurribur) HIstory



1859 Foundation stone of Dunolly Hospital laid by Mr Mitchell, MLC. Architect was David Ross.

 1917 Mr. Maurice Sheehan, Sen., proprietor of the Dunolly flour mill, died on Monday afternoon about 3 o'clock, at the age of 77 years. Some weeks ago Mr. Sheehan had a severe seizure, and at that time his condition was critical, but he rallied, and appeared to be regaining his health, till a relapse occurred a few days ago. He was the oldest representative of the milling industry in his State, having entered on the enterprise at Eddington in 1860, going to Dunolly in 1893. He enjoyed the esteem, confidence, and regard .of the entire community. He has left a widow, six sons, and two daughters, for whom deep and sincere sympathy is felt. 
The funeral takes place this afternoon.

 1935 Rev and Mrs Giles of St Johns Church Dunolly were given a presentation on behalf of the Guild and congregation, Rev Giles has accepted a swap with Rev Hamilton of St Paul’s Church Birchip. 
Rev Hamilton will be inducted as vicar at Dunolly on Jan 2.

 1940 Two acres of oats and four acres of straw were burnt on the farm of Mr Robertson at Murphy’s Creek, his son was driving the tractor when he noticed the fire in a thin part of the crop, a creek and road helped the firefighters prevent the spread of the fire to heavily grassed paddocks.

 1961 Archdale Post Office closed.

No comments:

ShareThis