A terrible accident, with an almost miraculous escape from sudden death to several men, happened at the Windsor Castle hotel on Wednesday afternoon, about four o’clock, by which the whole town was thrown into a state of the greatest excitement. A terrific noise, as of a. clap of thunder was heard, . followed by the screams of frightened women and others who were near the spot at the time. A general rush to the scene of the disaster took place, and after the - cloud of dust had cleared away, it was ascertained that the whole of the new parapet which was being fixed along the north side of the hotel- had broken away, and fallen with an awful crash to the ground, carrying with it the scaffolding on which the men were at work, smashing the flooring and joists (11 x 3) of the balcony along this side of the house, and breaking it down in several places, and strewing the roadway below with fragments of splintered planks, broken poles, bricks, and slates and slabs, which had been used in the work just being done. How the men escaped with their lives is most miraculous. Two of them, William Edwards and Hamlet Hollingworth, were at work on the staging some 16 or 18 feet from the ground ; the former was thrown to the middle of the road and was taken up .insensible. His mate was,however, nowhere to be seen, and, on a search being made, was found doubled up, and lying beneath a heap of bricks and other debris ; this being cleared away,: it appeared doubtful if he were dead or alive, and not until he was being lifted into a conveyance, to be taken to the hospital, did he utter a sound. Dr Pierce was in immediate attendance, and saw them placed in conveyance to be taken to the hospital, Mr Whittaker was working at the base of the building, and, hearing a strange sound overhead,sprang, in an instant, to a door way fortunately near him and standing erect close to the door (which was shut) escaped with a few ugly bruises from blows inflicted by the falling of timber, &c. The labourer in attendance on him had left but one minute before the downfall, a position in, which, had be remained, he would have received the full weight of a portion of the falling mass, and the man attending on the plasterers on the scaffolding, had only just descended when the downfall took place, or he likely, would have suffered with the others.
Mr R. White also narrowly escaped being caught by the falling mass, as he was just about to leave the adjoining yard, with his horse and dray, and in two minutes would have been in a most dangerous position. The parapet extended a length of over 60 feet, and projected 19 inches, and the main wall being of only nine inch work, and therefore unable to support the overhanging weight; the rough cementing was just completed and became the straw to break the camel's back.
We need scarcely say that the inmates of the house wore thoroughly electrified by the shock, and could not for some time realise what had happened.
On inquiry at the hospital last night we were pleased to find that though badly shaken and bruised in various places neither of the men taken there were considered to be very seriously injured.
1880 The Midland Coursing Club held its first meeting at Deep Creek.
1890 Tea Tree CC vs Dunolly CC at the West Brook cricket ground, Tea Tree won by 31.
1893 A parade service of the B Company of Rangers was held at the Dunolly Town Hall with the Chaplin of the company Rev Mr Jackson officiating. The hall was crowded with many persons unable to gain admission, the collection which was in aid of the Old Sailors Home at Drysdale raised 7 pounds.
1901 Storms of high winds and much dust followed by heavy rains reported.
1923 Mr and Mrs W Peters were farewelled and presented with gifts on their leaving Dunolly.
1928 Mr Harry Boan of Boan Emporium Perth visited his birth place of Dunolly to renew acquaintances, leaving a cheque of 50 pounds for the Dunolly Hospital to install a wireless set for the patients.
1953 Cast iron lamp poles, for kerosene lamps, from the streets of Tarnagulla were being sold off by the Bet Bet Shire Council for 2 pounds each, although locals were calling for some to be retained for sentimental reasons.
1956 Good Friday Back to Dunolly celebrations included 10am special church services, 2.30pm official opening of the Scout Hall and a band recital, 8pm a sacred concert in the Shire Hall.