1862 ROADS AND AN ACCIDENT - MAY 1862
THE ROAD BETWEEN DUNOLLY AND BURNT CREEK is in an execrable state, what it will be during the worst part of winter, we hardly dare to enquire. It is true that that portion of it where the diggings cross has been filled up but the soil used was of such a clayey nature that it has sunk in ........... [indistinct] should be made between two places so nearly allied as Dunolly and Burnt Creek - to say nothing of the danger to the night traffic. We had the pleasure of a ride after nightfall between the two places after a heavy rain, and the stumps and chasms which it was impossible to avoid, and which nearly upset the vehicle two or three times, were a standing proof of the necessity of some further clearance being made, and some metal placed on this part of the road, which is at present in a worse condition than the hard well worn bush track. The siding just out of the town is also slippery and dangerous, especially to horses. The Road Board would do well, as far as possible, to remedy these defects. It is a pity that the smallness of the rate struck, precludes the possibility of its effecting the many improvements needed in its district. More especially is this apparent when it is remembered that the Government grant so large a sum, in proportion to that raised from the ratepayers. A rate of 6d in the pound, while it would not have proved budensome, would have placed a fund as large again as that at present raised, at its disposal.
HORSE ACCIDENT - on Tuesday last, as Mr Morris, storekeeper of Burnt Creek, was riding at a sharp pace, down the hill near Wigham's Junction Hotel, the horse stumbled, throwing its rider and rolling over him. Fortunately, Mr Morris escaped with a few slight bruises, the mud on the road contributing to break the violence of the fall.
- Dunolly and Burnt Creek Express, 31 May 1862.
1871 Concert by the Dunolly common school pupils at the town hall.
1871 Meeting of Dunolly Public Library committee at town hall to receive the annual report.
1875 Old Common School at Dunolly closed its doors.
1889 The McIvor Times and Rodney Advertiser reported that -
A rather comical incident is related in connection with the visit of the choir and band of the Victorian Asylum and School for the Blind to Dunolly last week. A number.of the male pupils were located in the' Court House, in Broadway, and "the 'novelty and grandeur of their surroundings was fully explained to them but probably the explanation failed to impress them as much it might have been expected After the concert the youths were brought to their temporary abiding place, where they were to pass the night in a rather uncongenial atmosphere. The solemn influence of the place had not a depressing effect however. Though afflicted, the youths had a keen sense of the humorous, and ,finding that their situation was not conducive to sleep they sought some harmless mode of passing the dreary hours in their rather dreary abode. Mr and Mrs Ison, who had very kindly consented to take charge of number of the pupils, were disturbed during the night by sounds rising from in the Temple of Justice, and deemed it prudent and kind to see if the young men were as comfortable as circumstances would allow, and that the sanctity of the building was being preserved. They procured a light and very 'quietly "entered the building, which, until their arrival, had been in complete darkness, but a scene was revealed which caused the spectators the most intense amusement:- In the chair of the chief 'magistrate sat one of the, pupils, with an assumption of dignity which was irresistible; in the: prisoner's box were two culprits charged with some offence while alongside stood two of the company who evidently represented the guardians of law and order. In the jury box were a number of others, who were listening in solemn silence to a charge from the judge on the heinousness of the offence of eating too much plum pudding at dinner, evidently the crime with which the culprits had been charged.The visitors had a gone in quietly, and were highly amused spectators for a few minutes, during which the prisoners a were found guilty, and the judge solemnly sentenced each to be stood his head for ten minutes to assist digestion a sentence which probably might have been carried out had not the amused spectators found it impossible to control their mirth. There was a general stampede and the place was soon in darkness and silence.
1919 Mr. D. W. O'Grady, the newly appointed police magistrate, paid his first visit to Dunolly last week. He was cordially welcomed by the local justices, who congratulated him on his promotion, which was so well deserved. For many years Mr. O'Grady was clerk of courts at Dunolly.